Thursday, August 30, 2007

Lots of little tricks

I made this card last night, based on this Splitcoaststampers' (SCS) sketch challenge.

Challenges are perfect for me when it comes to creating cards. First, I love challenges! If someone gives me a goal, I go after it until I reach it. I'm persistent to a fault sometimes (i.e. I don't know when to quit). Second, the SCS challenges give me a good starting point. Scrapbooking comes naturally for me, but when I sit down to make a card, the smaller canvas creates a roadblock for me. So I need a little jumpstarting in that area.

If you've never tried an SCS challenge before, you should! There's a different one everyday of the week and it's amazing how much you'll grow as a stamper - or scrapbooker (there are scrapping challenges, too)!

So, for this card, the sketch seemed to fit a square shape best, so I made my card 4.25" square. The ribbon (from Wal-Mart) was the inspiration for my color scheme. I used Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin Pie, and Tempting Turquoise cardstock for my layers. The saying stamp is from Seasonal Whimsy and the butterfly is from a company called Club Scrap.

I utilized a lot of little tricks in the making of this card. First one: did you know your Crop-A-Dile can dry emboss little circles? It can! Besides setting eyelets and punching holes, you can put your CAD settings so that it will put tiny circle impressions into your cardstock! SUCH a FUN use of this tool (I have a couple other ideas for these circles which I'll hopefully be able to try in the next few days). I did this to my Chocolate Chip cardstock (you can click on the picture for a more detailed look).

Second trick: the edges of my cardstock were distressed with my bone folder. Normally you use this tool for scoring and folding. If you run the pointed end along the edge of your paper a few times, you'll get a cool distressed look. It will even begin to separate the layers of cardstock, which is another great shabby look.

Third trick: I wanted to clear emboss my butterfly but I wanted to stamp it in Tempting Turquoise ink. I have that color in the Classic, fast-drying dye ink only. So I stamped the butterfly in my Versamark pad first, stamped it in my Tempting Turquoise ink pad, then stamped my Pumpkin Pie cardstock. The Versamark is clear so it didn't contaminate my TT pad and the clear embossing powder stuck perfectly to the image.

I finished off the card with a couple brads and some linen thread tied around the ribbon. Try these tricks on your next project! Or go try an SCS challenge!

Now go create!
-Nicole

No comments: