Thursday, August 9, 2007

Christmas in August

I know it's usually "Christmas in July", but who really gets ready for it in July anyways? Ok, my grandmother does - wait, she's actually DONE by July - she shops the after Christmas sales for NEXT year's holiday. Grandma always was very organized.

But I digress LOL!


This card was one of the Make & Takes at my Sundae Spectacular back in July (so maybe I can legitimately say "Christmas in July"). I had received the Perfect Presentation set free from Stampin' UP and it's all Christmas stamps. At first I hadn't planned on using it at my event, but then I got my new In Color toys and when I saw the Purely Pomegranate and Wild Wasabi together, I KNEW this was what I wanted to create.

The size of this card is 2-3/4" x 5-1/2". It fits perfectly in a regular letter size envelope or these small open-end envelopes. Another nice thing is that you get 3 of this size from one 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of cardstock with just an itty bitty strip leftover.

Using Purely Pomegranate ink, I stamped the star image from Perfect Presentation in a random fashion on the Purely Pomegranate card base. I then cut a 5-1/2" piece of Wild Wasabi double-stitched ribbon and used SNAIL adhesive on each end to attach it to the card. I stamped the Christmas tree image in Wild Wasabi ink onto Whisper White cardstock. After brushing the edges of it with Purely Pomegranate ink, I glued it to a piece of Wild Wasabi cardstock. I then glued the entire piece over top the ribbon and onto the card base.

I thought I was finished at this point, but I sat there staring at it, thinking, "It needs something more." Now, it's very hard for me to make a simple card (it's hard for me to do ANYTHING the simple way, come to think of it. My husband always accuses me of this LOL). So, I was sort of doubting my instinct that it needed "something else". I kept whispering, "Keep it simple, keep it simple." My hand crept towards the Dazzlin' Diamonds glitter jar. I snatched it back, again whispering, "Keep it simple." I picked up the Liquid Glue pen and twirled it in my fingers. Another voice (louder) said, "Must resist!" I then screamed, "I CAN'T!!!!" and ripped the cap off the Liquid Glue, squeezed an outline of it around the Christmas tree, and dumped Dazzlin' Diamonds glitter all over it!!!!!!

After shaking the excess off, I seeing the final result, I realized I'd done the right thing. Glitter was just what it needed! And the best part was it looks like pretty soft snow on the tree! (You can click on the photo to see it in more detail). Lesson learned: Bling makes it better LOL!

Now go create!
- Nicole






No comments: