Sunday, July 29, 2007

A great case of improvisation

I've always been a firm believer in making do with what's on hand. I create meals with what I have, rather than making specific lists of what a recipe calls for. If the girls want to set up some fantasy playground for their Barbies, we scrounge around the house for items and fashion something remarkable (and given all the Stampin' UP boxes I have lying around, those Barbies have a dream playplace, let me tell you!).
Same goes with my crafting. Rather than getting all the latest and greatest, I challenge myself to use what I have. Don't get me wrong - I love to buy new stamping and scrapping supplies as much as the next person and I DO get new things from time to time. But I make sure those new things are v-e-r-y stretchable, that I can use them a million different ways. Being creative isn't about having everything and making something from that - it's about making something from nothing (or next to it)!
One of my downlines, Kim Moslen, took this creed to heart when making this card. She showed it to me at the July Technique Tuesdays class and I loved it. Kim told me she'd found the card design on Splitcoaststampers and CASEd it (CASE stands for "copy and share everything"), but she changed the colors and did two other substitutions.
First, see that Always Artichoke cardstock strip with the Regal Rose dots? Kim said that was polka-dotted ribbon on the original card, but she didn't have any like it, so she created it from what she did have (a circle punch and cardstock). Brilliant!
Second, instead of using the ticket corner punch on the focal piece of the card, she used her circle punch. Kim flipped the punch upside down so she could see where she was placing it on her cardstock, slid it in so that only half the circle was on the cardstock, then punched. Again, brilliant!
I challenge you to find a card or scrapbook page you like (check out my blog, of course *wink, wink*, the Stampin' UP catalog, or Splitcoaststampers). Study it for a bit, then poke around your stash to see how you can recreate it with what you have.
Now go create!
- Nicole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Card!! I love it!
Kara